This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
About the organization
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to over 500 people who are abusive. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for
anyone affected by domestic violence.
Our Mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and
evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors.
All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, SurvivorCentered Advocacy, and Stewardship.
About the role
As the Day or Evening Shelter Program Supervisor, you will co-lead a key program within WC&S. You will provide leadership, supervision, and in-person and on-call support to Advocates working in the Shelter Program. You will work collaboratively with the other Shelter Program Supervisor to effectively support your team as they handle client case management, building and resident safety, and other client
You will have the ability to demonstrate exemplary client and customer service, provide successful
coaching and mentoring to Advocates, be a resourceful problem solver, and successfully prevent and respond to crises. Due to the sensitive nature of our work, it is important that you understand abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence (IPV), cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, and child abuse and neglect.
This role will be based out of the WC&S Residential Program, which is housed in the main WC&S facility.
The successful candidate is an excellent Advocate and proven leader who is steadfast and flexible,
experienced in effective crisis management and supervision, and is sensitive to trauma and cultural diversity issues. If you are passionate about serving those experiencing IPV, supporting and guiding those directly working with them, and eager to be where the action is, then we’re excited to hear from you.
This role provides you with the opportunity to grow and showcase your leadership, supervision, communication, and crisis management skills while contributing to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways.
WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
• Provide supervision, training, support, performance management, and evaluation to designated advocates in regular collaboration with the other Shelter Program Supervisor
• Oversee, support, mentor, and guide advocates by directly working with them, learning their
duties, understanding their needs, and checking in with them daily; provide leadership, proactive planning, and problem-solving support to all advocates on duty
• Learn and understand essential duties of positions supervised; provide direct back-up as needed.
• Provide on-site crisis intervention supervision to advocates during typical work hours; provide on-call crisis intervention supervision and/or coverage back-up as needed during designated hours
• Lead or co-facilitate Case Management and Administrative Team Meetings in collaboration with the other Shelter Program Supervisor and Administrative and Training Supervisor
• Work with advocates to de-escalate and mediate conflicts among shelter residents; address
grievances and work to resolve them
• Oversee, coordinate, and support case management of clients, including with other departments;
provide direct case management on complex cases as needed; participate in, or assign a designee to participate in, interdepartmental case management meetings within or outside of WC&S as needed
• Participate in program leadership, recommend and implement innovating ideas and solutions around procedures and program development; participate in and collaborate with the WC&S Leadership Team.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of clients, residents, and location.
• The Day Shelter Program Supervisor position requires being available for 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. plus providing Saturday and Sunday back-up for on-site coverage, as needed. The Evening Shelter Program Supervisor position requires being available for 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday 2-10 p.m. plus providing on-call supervision Monday through Friday 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. Both Shelter Program Supervisors will take part in weekend on-call supervision rotation, along with other leaders.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Here’s what we are looking for
• Bachelor’s degree in social work or related area required (commensurate experience will be considered); Master’s degree preferred.
• At least two years of direct service experience in victim services or human service agency required; experience in residential programs preferred.
• At least two years of supervisory, mentoring, or leadership experience required.
• Demonstrated ability to regulate emotions and effectively manage crises required.
• Bilingual or multilingual proficiency preferred.
• Strong command of general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite is required; familiarity and understanding of information technology, including Salesforce, Tableau, and Teams strongly preferred.
• A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, cultural diversity issues, and child abuse and neglect.
• Ability to understand and perform confidentiality and safety procedures.
• Experience working in organizations with a successful track record in diversity and inclusion cultures preferred.
• Act 33/34 and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances will be required.
About the benefits
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training, mentoring, and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to all.
To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter via email with the subject line “Shelter Program Supervisor” by February 1st to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View All Job Listings