Each year, in October, advocates, survivors, and supporters recognize October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM). It provides an opportunity to remember victims of domestic violence, raise awareness of what domestic violence is, how to recognize it, and what we can all do to collectively prevent it. This fall, PCADV and the National Network to End Domestic Violence are leading a nationwide campaign for DVAM and GiveForDV to start a national conversation about domestic violence and how we can all contribute to changing the narrative around this overshadowed but fundamental issue.
Every1KnowsSome1 impacted by domestic violence. One in three women, one in four men, and nearly half of LGBTQ+ people will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. High rates of domestic violence are not private, individual problems; they require community solutions. By acknowledging this reality, we can collectively work towards ending domestic violence and creating safe, healthy communities for everyone.
How to Get Involved
Do you want to help domestic violence survivors, but you aren’t sure what you can do? Here’s how you can get involved:
- October 17 is PCADV’s DVAM Memorial Vigil – Join us from 6-8 p.m. at the state capitol in Harrisburg, PA as we remember the lives lost to domestic violence over the past year, honor the resiliency and hope of survivors, and recognize the hard work of domestic violence advocates across the state.
- October 19 is Purple Thursday – Wear purple, take a selfie, and share why you wear purple or who you wear it for with #PurpleThursday #Every1KnowsSome1 #DVAM. Get Purple Thursday assets
- October 26 is DVAM Day of Giving – Make a donation, donate your time by volunteering at a local program, or find your own creative way to GiveForDV!
- Multiply your impact with your own fundraiser and encourage friends and family to support survivors all month! Visit our GiveForDV page and click on the purple “Fundraise” button – it only takes a few minutes!
- Share your story
- Sign up to be an advocate
- Find DVAM events happening in your community
- Join the conversation! Share our DVAM education and awareness content on social media all month long. Don’t forget to use #Every1KnowsSome1, and make sure you’re following PCADV at:
- October 11: Health Cares about DV Day
- October 17: PCADV’s DVAM Memorial Vigil
- October 26: DVAM Day of Giving
- October 19: Purple Thursday
More DVAM Events
For Local Programs
Are you with a local domestic violence program looking to participate in the national DVAM/GiveForDV campaign? Sign up to participate in DVAM and GiveForDV and get access to the full toolkit!
Register your Program
Is your program hosting any events (in-person or virtual) this DVAM? Get them on the official DVAM event calendar! Submit your event for inclusion today!
Submit your event