This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
As a WC&S Paralegal, your primary role is to provide general assistance to attorneys in the Civil Law Project (CLP) as they represent clients in cases involving intimate partner violence. This role will principally work on Protection From Abuse (PFA) cases by preparing files, interviewing clients, preparing intake summaries, gathering evidence, and identifying other legal needs. You will help prepare for legal proceedings, assist with case management for the attorneys, sit in on meetings with the Legal Director and CLP attorneys, manage related administrative tasks, and work to enhance systems within the program and agency. The role is currently able to be completely remote, with a goal of being co-located between the CLP Office in Downtown Pittsburgh and home office.
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence annually & facilitating intervention groups to over 500 men who batter. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, guiding principles, and values, as well as the tenets of Women’s Center Business System (WCBS), and are sensitive to cultural and workplace harmony and infusing principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) into their daily interactions with clients and co-workers. Through the Civil Law Project, WC&S clients can receive free legal representation in matters including Protection From Abuse (PFA) orders, custody and child support, and divorce.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your paralegal and problem-solving skills, work with a diverse group of clients, collaborate with the legal community in Pittsburgh, and contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. If you are excited to be part of a supportive and fast-paced nonprofit law project, care deeply about the issue of intimate partner violence, and are ready to make a difference in your community then we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
- Assist CLP attorneys in court preparation and their client representation, including overseeing and conducting PFA case preparation, hearing and trial preparation, and client and witness interviews.
- Draft correspondence, pleadings, and other legal documents.
- Organize and manage client case files.
- Conduct legal/factual research, docket/records searches, and file/deliver court pleadings as needed.
- Serve as a liaison for CLP with clients, attorneys, court staff, and others.
- This position requires being available for regular business hours, 40 hours per week. Currently, the position is completely remote.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Paralegal certificate required (or be certification-eligible).
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
- Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect, and rapport with a diverse population of clients and legal professionals.
- Ability to understand confidentiality and safety procedures.
- A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues and child abuse and neglect.
- Adept in utilizing general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Windows, Outlook, and online software platforms.
- Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances will be required.
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including: generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
This position will remain open until we find the best candidate for the position. To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter to the Director of Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org by end of business on Wednesday May 5, 2021.
View All Job Listings