This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
As a WC&S Paralegal, your primary role is to provide general assistance to attorneys in the Civil Law Project (CLP) as they represent clients in cases involving intimate partner violence. This role will principally work on Protection from Abuse (PFA) cases by preparing files, interviewing clients, preparing intake summaries, gathering evidence, and identifying other legal needs. You will help prepare for legal proceedings, assist with case management for the attorneys, sit in on meetings with the Legal Director and CLP attorneys, manage related administrative tasks, and work to enhance systems within the program and agency. The role is currently able to be completely remote, with a goal of being co-located between the CLP Office in Downtown Pittsburgh and home office.
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 8,000 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to over 500 people who are abusive. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence. Our Mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your paralegal and problem-solving skills, work with a diverse group of clients, collaborate with the legal community in Pittsburgh, and contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. If you are excited to be part of a supportive and fast-paced nonprofit law project, care deeply about the issue of intimate partner violence, and are ready to make a difference in your community then we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
• Assist CLP attorneys in court preparation and their client representation, including overseeing and conducting PFA case preparation, hearing and trial preparation, and client and witness interviews.
• Draft correspondence, pleadings, and other legal documents.
• Organize and manage client case files.
• Conduct legal/factual research, docket/records searches, and file/deliver court pleadings as needed.
• Serve as a liaison for CLP with clients, attorneys, court staff, and others.
• This position requires being available for regular business hours, 40 hours per week. Currently, the position is completely remote.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Here’s what we are looking for:
• Paralegal certificate or equivalent experience working with court system clients, forms and procedures required.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred.
• Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect, and rapport with a diverse population of clients and legal professionals.
• Ability to understand confidentiality and safety procedures.
• A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues and child abuse and neglect.
• Adept in utilizing general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Windows, Outlook, and online software platforms.
• Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances will be required.
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including: generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to all.
This position will remain open until we find the best candidate for the position. To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter to the Director of Administration at email@example.com by end of business on Friday August 6, 2021.
View All Job Listings