This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
40 Hours; M-F with varying shifts including day/evening hours; Focus on working with ESL client
Provides direct service and advocacy to clients in Front Office, Children’s Program, Shelter Program, and Hotline Program with a specific focus on working with individuals who are refugees, immigrants, or speak English as a second language.
This Direct Services Advocate will have the specific responsibility of working with all non-English speaking clients in the Front Office and Children’s Program, as well as in the Shelter/Hotline Program, providing services including: crisis intervention counseling; safety planning; individual advocacy; immigration assistance; all victim support services; and specifically while in Shelter, intake interviews and general assistance to make sure basic needs are met. Also, this Advocate will facilitate or co-facilitate support groups that include or are focused on this underserved population. In the Front Office, this Advocate will provide a welcoming and secure environment for all visitors, with a focus on supporting non-English speaking visitors upon entry into the building. As a member of the RIL (Refugee, Immigrant, Limited English Speaker) Team, this Advocate will meet every other week with the RIL Team and may take on other duties related to improving the quality of our services to this population.
All Shelter/Hotline Advocates have the following Shelter responsibilities with all clients:
- Maintains building security at all times and assures confidentiality of residents
- Provides intake interviews with the resident to identify individual needs
- Work with residents on meeting basic daily needs
- Facilitates DV educational support groups for residents
- Supervises volunteers and substitutes in absence of managers
All Shelter/Hotline Advocates have the following Hotline responsibilities with all clients:
- Provides crisis counseling, information and makes triage referrals to all callers.
- Assist with training substitutes, volunteers and interns for hotline work
- Provides support to volunteers, substitutes and interns on hotline data collection
All Children’s Advocates have the following responsibilities with all clients:
- Nurture and care for children while moms are attending support groups, in court, or pursuing their goals.
- Oversee older children and deliver age-appropriate activities as needed.
- Prepare bottles, change diapers, and ensure the cleanliness of the children and the program.
All Front Office Advocates have the following responsibilities:
- Monitors building and resident security through control of doors, alarms, surveillance, and the initiation of security procedures/alerts.
- Administers visitor/resident sing-in and sign-out procedures.
- Maintains a secure and welcoming environment.
- Greets and engages visitors/residents in alignment with Sanctuary Model and cultural competency principles.
All Advocates have the following combined responsibilities:
- Maintains strict confidentiality of clients, residents, and location.
- Documents and enters accurate client information and systems advocacy and submits in a timely manner
- Meets regularly for supervision with Managers to review, receive and prioritize tasks and discuss issues/problems of the shelter and hotline departments
- Advocates for victims of IPV, using the Justice, Autonomy, Restoration and Safety model (JARS) and the Sanctuary model
- Performs other duties as assigned by Managers.
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual – fluent in speaking, writing, and comprehension (this is the primary requirement for this position)
- Degree in social work/social sciences
- 1-3 years in direct service in a human service agency, including two years in a counseling setting
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to change
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Sensitive to domestic violence and cultural diversity issues
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Windows, Outlook and Word
- Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances
Salary starts low $30,000s annually plus excellent benefits.
Women’s Center & Shelter is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign and reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Applicants must send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 13, 2019.
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence annually & facilitating intervention groups to over 300 men who batter. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, guiding principles, and values, as well as the tenets of Women’s Center Business System (WCBS), and are sensitive to cultural and workplace harmony and infusing principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) into their daily interactions with clients and co-workers.
View All Job Listings