This is a job listing for Women's Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to over 500 people who are abusive. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence.
Our Mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship (SUCCESS).
As a Direct Service Advocate, you would provide direct service advocacy, safety planning, emotional support, psychoeducation, case management, and information & referrals to clients of the WC&S Emergency Shelter, 24-Hour Hotline, and Text/Chat. You will have the ability to effectively work with adults and children who have experienced trauma, handle crises, manage multiple client cases and needs, and be a resourceful problem solver with strong attention to client safety, confidentiality, and wellbeing.
Due to the sensitive nature of our work, it is important that you understand abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence (IPV), cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, and child abuse and neglect. The successful candidate is sensitive to trauma and cultural diversity issues and is passionate about serving those experiencing IPV.
This role will be based out of the WC&S Residential Program, which is housed in the main WC&S facility.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your active listening, communication, and crisis management skills, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. If you are comfortable building rapport, thinking outside the box, and working with a team to meet ever-changing needs, we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
- Maintain building security and assure confidentiality of clients, residents, and location at all times
- Conduct intake interviews with residents to identify individual needs
- Provide individual advocacy and case management for residents related to ongoing safety planning, goal planning, housing support and advocacy, and more
- Work regularly with residents on meeting basic daily needs
- Facilitate weekly IPV educational support groups for residents
- Prevent and manage crises through rapport building, active listening, mediation, and problem-solving
- Provide crisis counseling, safety planning, and information and referrals to Hotline callers and users of Text/Chat
- Assist with training of new staff, volunteers, and interns
- This position requires being available for 40 hours per week, with evenings and weekends as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Here’s what we are looking for
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work/social sciences or related field (commensurate experience will be considered)
- 1-3 years’ experience working in direct services or human services field
- A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues and child abuse and neglect.
- Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect, and rapport with adults and children.
- Ability to understand and adhere to strict confidentiality and safety procedures
- Strong command of general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite is required; familiarity and understanding of information technology, including Salesforce, Tableau, and Teams strongly preferred
- Experience working in organizations with a successful track record in diversity and inclusion cultures preferred
- Act 33/34 Clearances and FBI Clearances required
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
We are always accepting applications for this important position! To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter via email with the subject line “Direct Service Advocate” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View All Job Listings