This is a job listing for Women's Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh (WC&S) is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to over 500 people who are abusive. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence.
Our mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship (SUCCESS).
As an Accounting Clerk, you will be responsible for ensuring accurate, consistent, and timely processing of accounts payable invoices, checks, and related reports. Additionally, this position assists in the receipt, recording, and general ledger entry of miscellaneous cash receipts, working closely with the Accounting Manager, CFO, and other Financial Staff to provide financial support to operations.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your organization and documentation skills, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. The successful candidate will have strong attention to detail, experience working with travel and accounts payable areas, and knowledge of budget preparation and administration, financial record keeping, and recording. If you are comfortable working with others as part of a supportive team and are passionate about working with populations experiencing intimate partner violence, we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Here’s what you will do
• Process daily cash receipts including preparation for deposit, daily banking, determining general ledger accounts to be applied to payments, entering data into the general ledger system, and updating subsidiary ledgers for payments against the various contracts
• Maintain accounts payable computer system files including vendor information, invoice entry, checks generation, and printing and posting transactions
• Process vendor invoices and staff travel forms daily including verification of math, ensuring appropriate approvals and documentation, coding of the general ledger account number(s) and forward to CFO for approval
• Secure appropriate signature on accounts payable checks and distributes internally and externally
• Participate in the annual audit preparations
• Assist staff with procedures relating to travel and accounts payable areas
• Prepare forms and spreadsheets as needed for accounts payable, miscellaneous accounts receivable, and restricted funding reports
• Process invoices for employee benefits and deductions
• Prepares and maintains documentation to support the annual audit preparation, in addition to any other federal, state, or other related agencies’ audit inspections
• The position requires being available Monday through Friday business hours, with evenings and weekends as needed
• Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Here’s what we are looking for:
• High school diploma, with advanced accounting or finance education preferred
• Non-for-profit/fund accounting experience preferred
• Three or more years’ accounts payable experience preferred
• Knowledge of budget preparation and administration, financial record keeping, and reporting
• Knowledge of specialized reporting requirements and procedures in the preparation of accounting records and financial statements
• Ability to compile and analyze data and prepare summary status reports
• Ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of people, including staff and funding agencies
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize appropriately
• Experience with fund accounting software, preferably Blackbaud Financial Edge
• Ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of people including staff and funding agencies
• Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues, and child abuse and neglect
• Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect, and rapport with others
• Ability to understand and adhere to strict confidentiality and safety procedures
• Strong command of general technology, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite is required; familiarity and understanding of information technology, including Salesforce, Tableau, and Teams strongly preferred
• Desire to work in an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as part of its values
• Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances required
About the benefits
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service [Student] Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status, or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter via email with the subject line “Accounting Clerk” to email@example.com.
View All Job Listings