This is a job listing for Safe Berks
The primary focus of this position is to provide legal representation to survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault in their protection order actions against their abusers, with an emphasis on systems advocacy on behalf of our clients both within and outside of the civil and criminal justice systems.
The starting salary is $65,000 per year.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide legal representation in Sexual Violence Protection Order and Protection From Abuse actions at hearings before the Court of Common Pleas for victims of domestic and sexual violence.
- Serve as Chair of the STOP Committee, manage the STOP Grant in conjunction with the Safe Berks Grant Writer, and meet all requirements of the STOP Grant, including but not limited to, complying with all reporting requirements, maintaining Team meeting agenda and minutes, managing communication among STOP team members, conducting regular (at least four annually) meetings of the Community Wide STOP Coordinating Team, as well as (at a minimum) 10 monthly meetings of the STOP Core Team, and overseeing the coordination of the Annual Community Wide STOP Training.
- Provide confidential support and assistance to clients regarding SVPO, PFA, Title IX, and other related topics.
- Consistently coordinate services with other Safe Berks counselors, legal advocates, and programs as necessary.
- Attend all required meetings, including but not limited to monthly departmental and staff meetings.
- Provide education and information and referral regarding rights of crime victims, as well as SVPO/PFA and Title IX processes at Safe Berks office, and/or other appropriate venues.
- Serve as a confidential advocate and guide victims through legal, medical, and emotional support options available to them.
- Coordinate legal services with Mid Penn, CJP or other legal services providers.
- Maintain daily and weekly statistics.
- Maintain knowledge of direct service operations and procedures (on-going).
- Other duties as determined by departmental supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or physical or other abilities required.
Educational & Experience Requirements
- Ability to demonstrate empathy, and advocate for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking, and strong crisis intervention skills.
- Ability to handle a high-volume case load within the requirements of the protection order statutes, which require that evidentiary hearings be held within 10 business days.
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure courtroom atmosphere handling multiple cases simultaneously.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills; ability to maintain effective interactions with victims and their children
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Dedication to assisting those who have been victimized or marginalized in society in a trauma-informed, client-centered manner
Employment Experience (amount and kind)
- One to three years of experience in legal systems or related field, (legal representation experience encompassing social services or crime victims preferred).
- Knowledge of criminal and civil laws affecting both domestic and sexual violence and other laws governing colleges and universities and crime victims is highly desirable.
Education (general level required or specific courses)
- J. D. Degree from an accredited law school, active law license to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, membership in good standing of the Pennsylvania Bar.
Essential Physical Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and may infrequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
Those interested in applying can email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View All Job Listings