This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
About the organization: WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over
8,000 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to over 500
people who are abusive. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and
empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence. Our Mission is to strengthen our ability to
meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the
growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors.
All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting
Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship.
About the role: As a Direct Service Advocate, you would provide direct service advocacy, safety
planning, emotional support, psychoeducation, case management, and information & referrals to
clients of the WC&S Emergency Shelter, 24-Hour Hotline, and Text/Chat. You will have the ability to
effectively work with adults and children who have experienced trauma, handle crises, manage
multiple client cases and needs, and be a resourceful problem solver with strong attention to client
safety, confidentiality, and wellbeing. Due to the sensitive nature of our work, it is important that you
understand abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence (IPV), cycle of abuse, power
and control dynamics, and child abuse and neglect. The successful candidate is flexible, sensitive to
trauma and cultural diversity issues, and passionate about serving those experiencing IPV. This role will
be based out of the WC&S Residential Program, which is housed in the main WC&S facility.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your active listening, communication, and
crisis management skills, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways.
If you are comfortable building rapport, thinking outside the box, and working with a team to meet
ever-changing needs, we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides
endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
• Maintain building security and assure confidentiality of clients, residents, and location at all
• Conduct intake interviews with residents to identify individual needs
• Provide individual advocacy and case management for residents related to ongoing safety
planning, goal planning, housing support and advocacy, and more
• Work regularly with residents on meeting basic daily needs
• Facilitate weekly IPV educational support groups for residents
• Prevent and manage crises through rapport building, active listening, mediation, and problem
• Provide crisis counseling, safety planning, and information and referrals to Hotline callers and
users of Text/Chat
• Assist with training of new staff, volunteers, and interns
• This position requires being available 40 hours per week; we are looking to hire 3
individuals to fill the following shifts:
- Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Monday, Tuesday, Friday, & Saturday noon to midnight
• Perform other duties as assigned
Here’s what we are looking for:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work/social sciences or related field required
• 1-3 years’ experience in direct services or human services field required
• A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner
violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues and child abuse
• Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect and rapport with adults and children
• Ability to understand confidentiality and safety procedures
• Adept in utilizing general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite,
Windows, Outlook, and online software platforms
• Experience working in organizations with a successful track record in diversity and inclusion
• Act 33/34 Clearances and FBI Clearances will be required
About the benefits. WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including:
generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability
coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance
Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student)
Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and
employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression,
national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran
status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter to the Recruitment
Specialist by end of business on Tuesday September 7, 2021 at email@example.com. We are
always accepting applications for the important Direct Services Advocate roles
View All Job Listings