This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
As a Direct Service Advocate, you would provide direct service advocacy, safety planning, emotional support, psychoeducation, case management, and information & referrals to clients of the WC&S Emergency Shelter, 24-Hour Hotline, and Text/Chat. You will have the ability to effectively work with adults and children who have experienced trauma, handle crises, manage multiple client cases and needs, and be a resourceful problem solver with strong attention to client safety, confidentiality, and wellbeing.
Due to the sensitive nature of our work, it is important that you understand abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence (IPV), cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, and child abuse and neglect. The successful candidate is sensitive to trauma and cultural diversity issues and is passionate about serving those experiencing IPV. This role will be based out of the WC&S office.
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program serving over 8,000 adult and child survivors of domestic violence annually & facilitating intervention groups to over 500 men who batter. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, guiding principles, and values, as well as the tenets of Women’s Center Business System (WCBS), and are sensitive to cultural and workplace harmony and infusing principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) into their daily interactions
with clients and co-workers.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your active listening, communication, and crisis management skills, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. If you are comfortable building rapport, thinking outside the box, and working with
a team to meet ever-changing needs, we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
• Maintain building security and assure confidentiality of clients, residents, and location at all times
• Conduct intake interviews with residents to identify individual needs
• Provide individual advocacy and case management for residents related to ongoing safety planning, goal planning, housing support and advocacy, and more
• Work regularly with residents on meeting basic daily needs
• Facilitate weekly IPV educational support groups for residents
• Prevent and manage crises through rapport building, active listening, mediation, and problem solving
• Provide crisis counseling, safety planning, and information and referrals to Hotline callers and users of Text/Chat
• Assist with training of new staff, volunteers, and interns
• This position requires being available 40 hours per week; specific schedules depend on current openings
• Perform other duties as assigned
Here’s what we are looking for:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work/social sciences or related field required.
• 1-3 years’ experience in direct services or human services field required.
• A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues and child abuse and neglect.
• Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect and rapport with adults and children.
• Ability to understand confidentiality and safety procedures.
• Adept in utilizing general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Windows, Outlook, and online software platforms.
• Act 33/34 Clearances and FBI Clearances will be required.
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including: generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
We are always accepting applications for this important position! Please send a resume and cover letter to the Director of Administration at email@example.com.
View All Job Listings