This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
As a Children’s Advocate, you would provide childcare, direct service, and advocacy to children whose mothers are utilizing WC&S services. You will have the ability to nurture and care for children of all ages, build rapport with and support mothers, effectively handle crises, and be a resourceful problem solver with strong attention to client safety, confidentiality, and child enrichment. Due to the sensitive nature of our work, it is important that you understand abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence (IPV), cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, and child abuse and neglect. The successful candidate is sensitive to trauma and cultural diversity issues, is passionate about working with children, is dedicated to serving those experiencing IPV, and is knowledgeable about child development. This role will be based out of the WC&S Children’s Advocacy Program, which is housed in the main WC&S facility.
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence annually & facilitating intervention groups to over 500 men who batter. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, guiding principles, and values, as well as the tenets of Women’s Center Business System (WCBS), and are sensitive to cultural and workplace harmony and infusing principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) into their daily interactions with clients and co-workers. This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your knowledge of child development, creativity, and communication skills, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. If you are passionate about working with children of all ages, comfortable building rapport with and providing support to mothers, thinking outside the box, and working with a team to meet ever-changing needs, we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
• Provide ongoing childcare to clients by nurturing, caring for, and overseeing activities and attending to daily living needs of children ages 0-17 while their mothers attend support groups and counseling, go to court or other appointments, and pursue their goals.
- Design or arrange internal structured programs for children.
- Provide intake interviews with mothers and provide information, referrals, and resources for mothers pertaining to the individualized needs of their children and around specific parenting issues.
- Provide case management to mothers and children and coordinate child services with other counselors/advocates who may be providing services to the mother.
- Provide individual and group advocacy, including for school enrollment and attendance.
- Monitor, clean, and sanitize play equipment and supplies.
- Assist with training of new staff, volunteers, and interns.
- This position requires being available 40 hours per week, Mondays and Wednesdays 8:30am-8:30pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30pm-8:30pm.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Associate degree in child development or related field required.
- 2+ years’ experience working with young children.
- A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues and child abuse and neglect.
- Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect and rapport with adults and children.
- Ability to understand confidentiality and safety procedures.
- Adept in utilizing general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Windows, Outlook, and online software platforms.
- Act 33/34 Clearances and FBI Clearances will be required.
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including: generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
This position will remain open until we find the best candidate for the position. To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter to the Director of Administration at email@example.com by end of business on Wednesday May 5, 2021.
View All Job Listings