This is a job listing for Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
About the Agency
Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh (WC&S) is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 7,700 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to nearly 300 people who use abuse.
We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence. Our mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity,
Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship (SUCCESS). In addition, the principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) and continuous improvement infuse all aspects of the organization.
About the Role
As a Volunteer & Community Relations Associate, you will serve as the initial contact for inquiries related to gift-in-kind donations, volunteering, and community fundraising, while also serving as the primary Development Team member working with volunteers. Additionally, you will provide administrative and logistical support for special events and campaigns.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your interpersonal communication, coordination, and administrative skills, and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, highly organized, and skillful in navigating various personality types. If you are comfortable multi-tasking, able to remain flexible in a high-paced environment, and are passionate about supporting populations experiencing intimate partner violence, we are eager to hear from you.
WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Here’s what you will do:
- Work with the Development Manager, Operations & Special Events on developing volunteer outreach
materials, coordinating volunteer project details, overseeing volunteers while onsite at WC&S, and
recording data related to volunteer activities
- Serve as the primary contact for inquiries related to gift-in-kind donations, volunteering, and
- Work across departments to understand current organizational needs and communicate those needs
to prospective donors
- Provide administrative and logistical support for special events and campaigns (mailings, signage,
solicitation of silent auction items, etc.)
- Learn the donor database and assist the Development Database Coordinator with gift entry and
- Table for and/or represent WC&S at community events on behalf of the Development Department and
in coordination with the Marketing Communications Manager and other WC&S departments
- This position requires being available Monday through Friday business hours, mostly onsite, with evenings
and weekends as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nonprofit Management, Communications, Marketing, or related field preferred;
Associate degree with two (2) or more years of nonprofit experience considered (commensurate
experience also considered)
- Detail-oriented, with excellent organizational and project management skills, including adhering to
multiple deadlines at once
- Must be a people-person: compassionate, approachable, and solutions-focused
- Skillful in navigating different personality types among internal and external constituencies
- Experience with a CRM database is a plus; if no experience, the ability and willingness to learn
- Flexibility to adapt to changing demands and priorities in a high-paced environment
- Comfortable with autonomy and working with a team
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence,
the cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, cultural diversity issues, and child abuse and neglect
- Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect, and rapport with others
- Ability to understand and adhere to strict confidentiality and safety procedures
- Strong command of general technology, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite is required
- Desire to work in an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as part of its values
- Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances required
Typical Starting Salary: $40,000/year
About the benefits
WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan with employer matching; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; Headspace meditation and mindfulness app subscription; Access Perks membership; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service [Student] Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are
treated without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender
identity or gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, place of birth, hairstyle, age,
disability, using guide or support animals for a disability, genetic information (including family medical history),
familial status, citizenship status, military service, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed
to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter via email with the subject line
“Volunteer & Community Relations Associate” to email@example.com.
View All Job Listings