This is a job listing for Safe Berks
Job Type: Full-time
Position Title: Legal Assistant
Core Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Supervisor: Director of Legal Services
Department: Legal Services
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
FLSA Exemption Test: N/A
Starting Salary/Hourly Rate: $17.00/hour
Last Updated: 3/7/2022
The Legal Assistant provides support to the overall administrative operations of the Legal Services Department. This position will also triage all incoming calls from legal clients based on department procedures and trauma-informed advocacy best practices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (includes but is not limited to the following):
- Screen, direct, prioritize and document incoming calls according to department procedures.
- Assist in completion of conflict checks for scheduling purposes, promptly schedule client appointments with attorneys, and offer appropriate referrals.
- Handle incoming mail, create, and maintain organized case files and track outcomes for reporting purposes.
- Document and maintain appropriate client program records as required for all Safe Berks departments.
- Facilitate communication for people with limited English proficiency, including providing English/Spanish translation during attorney/client interviews.
- Assist Legal Director and staff attorney with administrative tasks as requested.
- Serve as a back-up to the Office Administrator position during absences or position vacancies.
- Attend agency and department meetings as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or physical or other abilities required.
Educational & Experience Requirements:
- Bilingual Spanish and English-speaking skills required
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Microsoft Office suite skills
- Crisis intervention skills
- Customer service skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
Employment Experience (amount and kind)
- 1–3 years experience as a secretary or administrative assistant required
- Experience in human services or non-profit preferred
Education (general level required or specific courses)
- Associate’s degree preferred; degree can be substituted for equivalent relevant experience
- High school diploma required
Essential Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and may infrequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
- Completion of a background check request, FBI, State Police, and Child Abuse Clearances obtained prior to employment through agency vendor
- Completion of 66-hour Sexual and Domestic Violence Training provided by the agency
- Valid driver’s license and insurance are required to travel to client sites
Those interested in applying can do so here.
View All Job Listings