This is a job listing for Women's Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
As a Children’s Behavioral Support Advocate, your primary responsibility is to provide direct service, advocacy, and childcare to child and teen victims of domestic violence and assisting with identifying their counseling needs. You will have the ability to co-facilitate support groups for moms and kids, use your creativity to develop structured programming for children, administer assessments to mothers to identify the unique needs of their children, and be a resourceful problem solver with a welcoming, non-judgmental demeanor.
Due to the sensitive nature of our work, it is important that you understand abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence (IPV), cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, and child abuse and neglect. The successful candidate is sensitive to trauma and cultural diversity issues and is passionate about ending domestic violence.
This role will be based out of the WC&S Children’s Program. WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program serving over 8,000 adult and child survivors of domestic violence annually & facilitating intervention groups to over 500 men who batter. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, guiding principles, and values, as well as the tenets of Women’s Center Business System (WCBS), and are sensitive to cultural and workplace harmony and infusing principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) into their daily interactions with clients and co-workers.
This role provides you with the opportunity to showcase your active listening, communication, and assessment skills and the ability to contribute to the organization’s mission in a variety of ways. If you are comfortable working with children, teens, and moms to help them thrive,
practicing trauma-informed care, working in a team environment, and using your creativity, we are eager to hear from you.
WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
• Co-facilitate support groups for moms and children alongside the Children’s Counselor
• Design structured programs for children, and create and provide information and referrals resources for mothers pertaining to the needs of children in collaboration with the Children’s Program
• Provide ongoing childcare to clients
• Administer assessments to mothers to identify individual needs of their children, and identify needs of mothers for specific parenting issues
• Provide case management and advocacy to mothers and children
• Assist in training and coaching of WC&S staff regarding childhood trauma and development
• Provide advocacy for school enrollment and attendance, as needed, in collaboration with the Children’s Program
• This position requires being available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday noon to 8 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 5p.m.; 40 hours per week
• Perform other duties as assigned
View All Job Listings