Judges and Court Personnel
Technical Assistance 1-888-235-3425 or 717-671-4767
Questions about the 2015 Protection Orders for Sexual Violence and Intimidation?
Visit our PSVI webpage
View the judicial benchcard, technical assistance bulletin and process flowchart
Watch our webinar about the PSVI Act
Call for questions about PSV or PFI orders in the PFA database (PFAD) - 888-235-3425
Judges and court personnel are invited to call with questions regarding:
the PFA Act, the Protection From Sexual Violence or Intimidation Act, procedure, forms, enforcement, state and federal firearms law, child custody and domestic violence, the Protection From Sexual Violence or Intimidation Actdomestic violence information and statistics, domestic violence fatalities, court interpreters, compliance with the Federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), and other domestic violence statutes and case law.
Recent questions include
- Custody modification in PFA orders
- Violation of no-contact PFAs through social network web sites
- VAWA prohibitions against posting PFA records on government web sites
- ICC when defendant does not relinquish firearms as ordered
- Filing of out-of-state protection orders
Training and technical assistance is funded by a grant awarded by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, using funds originating from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.
Contact us about customized training for your county, region or professional conference. Recent training topics:
- Protection From Abuse (PFA) Act and Case Law
- Protection From Sexual Violence and Intimidation Act: The Law and PFAD
- Stalking and Technology
- State and Federal Firearms Prohibitions
- Responding to Teen Dating Violence, Sexual Abuse and Stalking in Schools and Through the Justice System
- Strangulation Prosecution and Evidence
- Unauthorized Practice of Law (UPL)
- Working with Victims, Vicarious Trauma and Burnout
Tools from PCADV
Pennsylvania Domestic Violence Benchbook
Written under the direction of a group of judicial leaders from across Pennsylvania, the Benchbook addresses evidence, pro se litigants, emerging practices in addressing domestic violence, criminal court concerns, teen dating violence and a variety of civil court issues including PFA and custody cases. The Benchbook is intended to provide substantive legal information and tools for trial court judges, and to be a concise and thorough compilation of statutory and case law related to domestic violence. Revisions as well as new chapters are written to keep the Benchbook current with Pennsylvania and federal laws. The Benchbook is not available electronically, but is provided to Pennsylvania trial and appellate court judges upon request. Contact us.
The Pennsylvania Protection From Abuse Act Annotated
The PFA Act Annotated contains the full text of the Act, 23 Pa.C.S. sections 6101 - 6123, and appellate case law annotations within the applicable sections. The PFA Annotated also describes cases relevant to the PFA Act's relationship with other proceedings: custody, divorce, dependency. Cases are also indexed by relevant section.
Technical Assistance and News Bulletins
Court Access keeps key workers in PFA offices, court administration, judicial support, and domestic relations offices informed about working effectively with domestic violence victims and PFA litigants. Court Access is distributed to email subscribers twice yearly at no charge.
The Jurist is tailored to Pennsylvania's judges with latest case law and precidential decisions, research about domestic violence, national and local training opportunities, and helpful tools such as judicial bench cards and web resources. Published quarterly at no charge.
STOP Technical Assistance Bulletins contain information about the Protection From Abuse (PFA) Act, technology and safety advocacy, stalking, firearms, primary aggressor and related issues.PCADV provides training and technical assistance to STOP team members, including law enforcement, prosecutors, courts and victim services providers.
PFAs Do Work!
Keep Up with our News and Events
- Internet Records Confidentiality under the 2005 Violence Against Women Act PCADV, 2010.
- Practical Implications of Current Domestic Violence Research: For Law Enforcement, Prosecutors and Judges National Institute of Justice, June 2009. What the research tells us about domestic violence, its perpetrators and victims, the impact of current responses and the implications for day-to-day, real-world responses to domestic violence.
- Permissible and Impermissible Assistance by Court Personnel in PFA Matters
PCADV, 201157.36 K | 3/16/2015
- American Bar Association Judicial Checklist In Domestic Violence Cases204.82 K | 3/16/2015
Bilingual Court Forms
Bilingual Protection From Abuse documents translated into the eleven most commonly encountered languages in the Pennsylvania court system
Bilingual Criminal Protective Order documents are translated into five languages for Pennsylvania courts: Chinese, Khmer, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese
Judicial Benchcard for Court Interpretation in Protection Order Hearings informs the court about what to expect from an interpreter and how the court can assist communication in interpreter proceedings
- American Bar Association Judicial Checklist In Domestic Violence Cases