White Ribbon Campaign
In 1991, after the brutal mass shooting of 14 female students at the University of Montreal, a handful of men in Canada decided they had a responsibility to urge men to speak out against violence against women. Since then this campaign, run by and aimed at men, has grown into an international effort.
Wearing a white ribbon is a symbol of men's opposition to men's violence against women. It is a personal pledge never to commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women.
Each year, men and boys are asked to wear a ribbon for one or two weeks, starting on November 25, the International Day for the Eradication of Violence Against Women. However, the White Ribbon Campaign (WRC) is also an educational organization that consistently works “to encourage reflection and discussion that leads to personal and collective action among men.”
Throughout the year, they encourage men to:
- do educational work in schools, workplaces, places of worship and communities about the problem of violence
- support local women's groups
- raise money for the international educational efforts of the WRC
To support this effort, the WRC distributes Education and Action kits to schools and maintains a website of resources. In addition, WRC members routinely speak out on issues of public policy.
- White Ribbon Campaign
PCADV's primary prevention team is available to provide ideas for implementation or a more detailed review. Contact the prevention team at 1-800-932-4632.45.56 K | 7/10/2013
Alert! Computer use can be monitored.
Review these safety tips to learn more. Click the red quick escape button above to immediately leave this site if your abuser may see you reading it.
Share our message
Keep Up with PCADV´s Latest News and Events
- EMB - Engaging Men & Boys
- SB - School-based
- Y- Youth
- Agent of Change (SB, Y)
- Beat the Punch (SB)
- Break The Cycle - Respect WORKS! (SB)
- Coaching Boys Into Men (EMB,SB,Y)
- Days of Respect: Organizing a School-Wide Prevention Annual Event (SB,Y)
- Expect Respect (SB,Y)
- Exploring Dimensions of Masculinity & Violence (EMB,Y)
- From Adversaries to Allies: A Curriculum for Change (EMB,Y)
- How's Your Relationship? (Y)
- I Can Make My World A Safer Place (Y)
- Jewish Women International Curricula for Boys & Girls (EMB,SB,Y)
- On Becoming A Muse (SB,Y)
- Red Flag Campaign (SB)
- Shifting Boundaries (SB)
- Stand4Respect (Y)
- Start Strong (SB, Y)
- Ugly Ducklings (SB)
- Young Men's Work (EMB,Y)
- Young Women's Lives (SB,Y)
- White Ribbon Campaign (EMB,SB)