Quick Escape

U Visas

Visas for nonimmigrants


The first step is to get the certification from law enforcement. Many individuals in law enforcement are eligible to certify cooperation. Advocates in the local DV program (find_help/in_pa) can be helpful because they know who can certify in the county. Once the cooperation has been certified, the U Visa application is filed with the Vermont Service Center, along with the signed certification form, and identification documents of the crime victim. The victim must write a supporting statement. After three years in the U.S., the U Visa holder files for adjustment of status to get the green card. They must file the adjustment of status form and file an updated certification of cooperation form.
A successful U visa applicant must show the following:
  • The applicant suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of being a victim of one of the listed crimes;
  • The person had information about the criminal activity that victimized her;
  • The person assisted federal, state or local law enforcement in investigating or prosecuting the criminal activity; and
  • The criminal activity violated U.S. Law or occurred in the U.S. or its territories.

dialog warning Alert! Computer use can be monitored.
-more info

Alert! Computer use can be monitored.
more info

Review these safety tips to learn more. Click the red quick escape button above to immediately leave this site if your abuser may see you reading it.

Error: linkLocal = 4, but newsLink is not a numeric spot. (newsLink = )
donate button

Keep Up with our News and Events